Nov 1, 2010

Trick or Treat United States Treasury

So last night was Halloween. A night filled with little people knocking at the door asking for a hand out. As with tradition the handouts came without fail. They knocked/rang the bell and I openly handed out the candy without question. This process has been going on for some time. Being a holiday conformist it felt right. That is until this morning.

I started my day thinking about the “candy” process of Halloween. What if the candy was money? What if the individuals cloaked in deception were actually politicians? And what if I was the U.S. Treasury? They come to my door under false pretenses asking for something. Without further research into who or what they represent the candy comes flowing out. Every time someone comes, the candy leaves. By the end of the night all the candy was gone.

Now I could have gone to the store, aka China, and requisitioned more candy. I could have attempted to collect candy from those whom owe me candy. Heck I could have fired up the kitchen to start mass candy production. Instead my response to lack of candy was simple. Placing the bowl on the counter and turning out the light was my declaration of no more handouts. The individuals now had to search for other means to support their candy needs. The Treasury of this house closed up. It realized that when the candy is gone there is no more reaching into the bowl.

This simple economic principle can be applied to the downward spiraling debt. We owe candy to everyone and yet we keep the light on. People continue to reach in pulling handfuls of candy out. Our nation refills the bowl.

No comments:

ontop

Top Blogs